The Bee Quilt

This quilt was a quilt-a-long from the Moda Bake Shop in mid 2016, designed by Pamela Morgan at @sweetlittlestitches.  I started the blocks at the time the quilt-a-long began, but took my time and had fun finishing them all.  There was a really helpful Facebook group for the project, and I got a lot of inspiration from the group for the embroidery.  Between that group and Google/YouTube, I learned a ton about embroidery!

After assembling the top, I had to get up the courage to quilt it.  I was a part of the HandiQuilter Ruler Club during the last 6 months of 2017, and as part of that group we got this cool oval ruler.  I wanted to try it out, so I decided to use it for continuous curves in the sashing.

For the rest of the quilt, I drew a lot of inspiration from Charisma Horton from Charisma’s Corner Long Arm Quilting in Washington state.  Her quilt, and the one she quilted for another group member, was absolutely beautiful.  She had the idea to add an echoed hexagon to the quilting, which looked awesome, so I wanted to add that design element to my quilting as well.

This guy took a long time to quilt, between the dense quilting and trying to complete it in December around the holidays, but it was fun to do and I love how it came out.

Here he is just off the frame, with some nice detail:

and here is the finished top

I got a new camera for Christmas, so please excuse the following oversharing of photos and detailed shots:

(isn’t her head tilt cute?)




These blocks are my favorites:

and the back:

It was a pretty day in January for a photo shoot – look at those New Mexico skies:



I had fun making all the blocks and doing the quilting was a fun challenge.

This was on my Q1’18 FAL list, so I’ll link up there at the end of March.

Also linking up with Wednesday Wait loss, as this as been on my FAL list for a year and a half, and Let’s Bee Social.

Wednesday Wait Loss


Q1’18 FAL – Goal Setting

I have a few projects from 2017 to finish and a few new projects that I’m planning.  I actually have a lot of quilty work to do in Q1 so I better get pretty focused!


  • Bee Quilt – I’m about halfway done quilting this guy and should finish it soon.
  • Alison Glass Quilt – I have a secret project that I need to get done by mid/early March.  I have all of the fabric pulled so I need to get cutting, piecing and quilting to get this done.
  • Hazel the Hedgehog – I made a few test blocks and I love how they came out.  I can’t wait to make the rest of the blocks and get the top together.
  • Dog Gone Cute Bee Quilt – these are the blocks from my Bee group last year.  They are so cute!
  • Red and Blue Squares – all the little squares are cut out and ready to sew together.  Lots of squares and seams to match up.
  • Hawaiian batiks –  I finally bought the sashing fabric, so this guy is ready to be finished.  I may have a purpose for this quilt now, so I think I’ll get it done this quarter.
  • The Cat Quilt – I have a plan for this quilt, as well as the fabric, but I need to figure out how to get it put together.

I’m looking forward to getting the Bee quilt finished, and the secret Allison Glass project will be really cool when it is done too.  Should be a fun quarter!


Linking up with the Q1’18 FAL Linky.

Q4’17 FAL – Wrap Up

I did reasonably well with my Q4’17 FAL list.  It wasn’t very long, but Q4 tends to be really busy with the holidays so I’ll just be happy with what I completed!

Here was my list:

  1. Blueberry Park Drunkard’s Path – I started putting together the top, and I have it about halfway done.  Need to do the rest and get it quilted.  UPDATE – DONE!!  I love the quilting on this guy, and I posted about it here.
  2. Scrappy Geese – I bought this bag of scraps at the Albuquerque Modern Quilt Guild Destash sale because I loved the cute critters.  The deer, the owl, and all the funny bugs!  And I got some cute fox fabric for the back.  These geese are ready to quilt up.  UPDATE – DONE!!  I posted about this guy here.
  3. Bright Puzzle – I finished the top in Q3.  I upgraded my LongArm to Prostitcher Premium one weekend, and as I was fooling around with the new software I loaded this guy up and got it all quilted.  I love the bubbly looking quilt pattern.  This is an easy finish – just need to get it bound.  UPDATE – DONE!  Posted about it here.
  4. Bee Quilt – the top is done and it is ready to quilt.  I just need to get up the courage to actually quilt it!  UPDATE – I’m about halfway done with the quilting.  I do need to figure out how I want to quilt the borders and get it bound.
  5. Red and Blue Squares – all the little squares are cut out and ready to sew together.  UPDATE – no progress at all!  Need to get this guy pieced and finished.
  6. Hawaiian batiks – still need to figure out how I want to assemble the top, buy some setting/sashing fabric, and get it put together.  UPDATE – no progress.  I do have a possible purpose for this quilt now, so I think I’ll get on this guy in January.

Not terrible progress – right at 50%.  I was really hoping to get the Bee Quilt done too, and I nearly got there but I just didn’t quite get it done.  It should be a quick (ish) finish for January.

All in all I had a very good and productive 2017 – I made a lot of progress with my long arming and finished many quilts that I am very proud of.  I look forward to more quilts in 2018!

2017-fal-button-300Linking up with the Q4’17 FAL page


Scroll To Top