I have an unhealthy addition to Karen Lewis fabrics, and Blueberry Park in particular. Any time I see it for sale I buy more of it. At this point I think I have it in every color – all the blues/greens, reds/oranges/yellows, and yes, even all the greys/tans/blacks. It is really pretty stuff. 🙂
I found an old template set for drunkard’s path blocks I don’t even remember buying, pulled out the blues/greens, and just started to put together blocks. I love the blocks, but I had a really hard time getting up the motivation to finish the top. I let it sit almost a year, but recently got my act in gear and pieced the top together.
After getting the top together, I loaded it up pretty quickly. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with the quilting, but I figured if I got it loaded up it would push me make a decision.
I knew I wanted to do something with the blue/green color pieces to tie them together and give the ‘route’ taken a sense of movement. I also didn’t want to do so much quilting in those pieces that it would take away from the beautiful fabric.
I pulled out a few of the rulers I bought recently to find the right shapes to do an echo around and a continuous curve inside the blue/green pieces. I came up with this:
For the background, I decided to do some improv quilting to get some nice texture:
I split the background into 3 sections moving across the quilt, with leaves on the right, swirls in the center and paisleys on the left. I also added some feathers randomly here and there because, hey, feathers are cool.
Here is the final finished quilt:
Some close ups:
Here is the back – this isn’t a very interesting picture, but I love the polka-dot fabric:
This one of the back is cooler, with the front shining through:
Final Details – Drunken Blueberry Quilt
55″ wide by 66″ long
Quilted using So Fine #50, #503 (a light gray) in the top and bobbin. Over 168,000 quilting stitches.
Pretty day in December to take outdoor quilt photos!
This was also on my Q4 FAL list, so I will link up there at the end of the quarter.