Drunken Blueberry Quilt Finish

I have an unhealthy addition to Karen Lewis fabrics, and Blueberry Park in particular.  Any time I see it for sale I buy more of it.  At this point I think I have it in every color – all the blues/greens, reds/oranges/yellows, and yes, even all the greys/tans/blacks.  It is really pretty stuff.  🙂

I found an old template set for drunkard’s path blocks I don’t even remember buying, pulled out the blues/greens, and just started to put together blocks.  I love the blocks, but I had a really hard time getting up the motivation to finish the top.  I let it sit almost a year, but recently got my act in gear and    pieced the top together.

After getting the top together, I loaded it up pretty quickly.  I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do with the quilting, but I figured if I got it loaded up it would push me make a decision.

I knew I wanted to do something with the blue/green color pieces to tie them together and give the ‘route’ taken a sense of movement.  I also didn’t want to do so much quilting in those pieces that it would take away from the beautiful fabric.

I pulled out a few of the rulers I bought recently to find the right shapes to do an echo around and a continuous curve inside the blue/green pieces.  I came up with this:

For the background, I decided to do some improv quilting to get some nice texture:

I split the background into 3 sections moving across the quilt, with leaves on the right, swirls in the center and paisleys on the left.  I also added some feathers randomly here and there because, hey, feathers are cool.

Here is the final finished quilt:

Some close ups:

Here is the back – this isn’t a very interesting picture, but I love the polka-dot fabric:

This one of the back is cooler, with the front shining through:

Final Details – Drunken Blueberry Quilt

55″ wide by 66″ long

Quilted using So Fine #50, #503  (a light gray) in the top and bobbin.  Over 168,000 quilting stitches.

Pretty day in December to take outdoor quilt photos!

Linking up with Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter and Let’s be Social at Sew Fresh Quilts.

2017-fal-button-300

 

This was also on my Q4 FAL list, so I will link up there at the end of the quarter.

 

 

 

 

 

Scrappy Geese

My Albuquerque Modern Quilt Guild has an annual Destash Sale every August.  I successfully avoided it last year, as heaven knows I don’t need any more fabric, but this year I couldn’t resist.  I found a few really great additions, but none better than a scrap bag of really cute critter fabrics.  I posted details about the scrap bag for a Sunday Stash here.

As I had a bunch of smaller pieces, I wanted to do something that would both accommodate the small pieces as well as highlight the cute fabric.  I had also been recently admiring scrappy flying geese quilts, so the geese seemed like a good place to start.

While I was piecing the flying geese, the folks at The Quilters Planner were having a contest for showing the Quilters Planner in the Wild.  I used the resources in the Quilters Planner to make the geese, so I had fun with the contest.  Here the geese were figuring out how to reproduce:

and here they were gathering up to fly south:

 

But then I got serious and pieced the top together and loaded it for quilting.  I’m not very good at continuous curve quilting so I used this as an opportunity to practice.

Here is the finished quilt.  I will say that throughout making this quilt I have had a terrible time getting good light while taking a picture of it!

Here are some detail shots with better light.  I did the colored triangles going one way with a dot-to-dot design, and little 3 petal flowers in the triangles going the other way.  I love the cute little owl and deer.

Here is a detailed look at one of the larger blocks.  I just outlined the features of the fabric on these blocks because I wanted to let the fabric be the focus.

I also found the backing fabric at the same sale – awesome little jumping foxes!

Maggie was nice enough to do some modeling for me.

This guy was a pretty quick finish.  I enjoyed the fabric and the quilting practice.

Scrappy Geese was on my Q4’17 Finish Along List, so I’ll be linking up with that FAL at the end of the quarter.

Bright Puzzle Pieces

I have had this fabric for a long time.  I bought it for a baby quilt for a friend – probably about 20 years ago! – and apparently I bought so much it just keeps giving and giving.  I go through spurts of taking out fabric, cutting it up and putting it into bags for piecing later, and I recently found this bag tucked away.  I saw a similar quilt in a store once, and I really liked how it looked like puzzle pieces.  I drew up a pattern based on my memory of it, and thought it would be a good one for longarm practice.

It went together really fast.  One really exciting Saturday I had just updated the ProStitcher version on my machine and wanted to try it out.  This guy seemed like a great candidate.  I loaded him up, and in a relatively short period of time he was done.

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out:

This photo didn’t turn out arranged as nicely as I’d like, but you can see some of the details on the front.

Here is the back:

I like the circles!

It was a quick one, but I’m pretty happy with it.  I’ll likely donate it to our local Project Linus.

 

I do think that I’m about done with this fabric, so I’m putting it into a scrap bag to try and sell it at the ABQ Modern Quilt Guild Destatsh sale next August.

A quick finish, but it was on my Q4’17 FAL list.  I’ll link it up to the FAL linky at the end of the quarter.

 

Scroll To Top