For our June Bee block, Karen of Tu-Na Quilts picked a really fun block. She had a fun trip to Paris a few years ago, and used that trip as inspiration for these blocks. Black and white french poodles, to which she will add setting pieces in shades of pink and wine for contrast. Should be a fun quilt.
There was a lot of little pieces for this block, but it did come together pretty well. You can get the tutorial for making the block from Karen’s post on our Bee Inspired blog site.
I didn’t take a photo of all the pieces, but here he is after getting some smaller pieces put together into larger chunks:
And the final block:
I named him Claude, and I think he is awesome. I hope that Karen likes him!
Here we are into June, and I haven’t yet posted about my Bee’s April and May blocks. Both were fun to do, and I’m happy with how they came out.
This was April – fun birds for Velda from GrannyCanQuilt. My first block is this one:
I’m also making my own set of blocks from a Me+You bundle of batiks, duplicating each of the monthly Bee blocks. These are the bird blocks I made from my own quilt:
I just love these blocks, and they are a great way of using up scraps. I might start making my own set of blocks for a big bird quilt!
For May, Irene of Patchwork & Pastry went a very different direction. She was looking for a very subtle palette with an assortment of grays. At first I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough grays to get this block to come together, but I was really surprised with the selection I had. This was my fabric pull – the photo is in monotone to check the values:
Her block was a series of 9-patches gradually increasing in size. Here it is coming together:
Look at that cute bitty 9-patch!
And the final block:
I’m really pretty happy with it – it came out a bunch better than I thought it would. I’m going to have to figure out how to adapt this block to my Me+You color palette, which is a lot more colorful.
I hope both Velda and Irene like their blocks – both have been sent off.
Now on to French Poodles in June!
Our Queen Bee this month, Kate from Smiles from Kate, picked a really interesting block – improv trees and gnomes. You can see her post about her block here. I have to admit I wasn’t totally crazy about it to start, but making the blocks was an interesting process.
Here is my fabric pull – I was drinking coffee in my New Mexico mug on a Sunday morning:
And here is my finished block. I was in deep concentration trying to make the trees, and especially putting the darn trunks on the trees (they kept winding up way off to the side), so I don’t have any in process photos.
I’m pretty happy with it, and got it sent off to Kate Friday morning. I do hope she likes it. I think the gnomes are cute!