I currently have a lot of projects in progress and I’d like to focus on getting a bunch of these knocked out. Lots of good opportunities for practicing on the long arm!
Bow-tie Quilt: this is a really old top I made forever ago that I pulled out to practice with on the long arm. I need to finish the quilting and try some machine binding.
Mess-of-a-Quilt: I started quilting this last summer during my long arm renting time/classes. I got it about 3/4 of the way quilted before I ran out of time. I’ll need to load this on my own long arm and finish it up.
Bright Squares: this is another top I made a long time ago from the leftover fabrics from the Bow Tie quilt. Another good quilting practice quilt top.
Death Star: I saw this pattern online recently, just loved it, and had to make one.
Rings: I’ve had these rings cut forever but need to put them on the top and get it quilted. I pulled this one out again as a good practice quilt.
Black and White Stripes: I got this one cut recently – it will be another good practice quilt.
Red, Black and White Coins: This has been cut for awhile – another good practice.
Caterpillar Quilt: I just love this fabric. I pulled it to do a tumbler quilt for a new baby quilt.
Circa 1934 Squares: I have a few more practice quilts to do before I’m ready to tackle this one, but I should get to it this quarter.
Sugar Block Club 3.0: quilt top is done! Need to decide how to quilt in and get it finished.
Blueberry Park Drunkard’s Path: blocks are done – need to put it together and quilt it.
Splendid Sampler: This has been a lot of work – we are up to 88 blocks, with another 10-15 bonus blocks. We’ll get to the full 100 by about February or March, and I’m looking forward to wrapping this one up.
Bee-utiful Quilt along: I’ve done 12 of the 20 embroidery blocks, so I’m not likely to get this one done, but I’m enjoying doing the embroidery every night relaxing after work.
I had several goals for Q4’16 on my FAL list, but really only one project that was really, really important to me. Between the new job and the large effort required to finish that one project, my finish list is short…but I’m still very happy!
My Q4’16 FAL goals were posted here. Here they are in photos:
1. Row Houses, aka Voldemort. I’m SO CLOSE!! Just borders left to quilt on this guy. UPDATE: DONE!! YAY. Posted about here. I said that if I got this quilt done I would do a little celebratory jig…and I did!!
2. Blueberry Park Drunkard’s Path. Need to setting on a layout, perhaps make a few more blocks and get this guy together. UPDATE: Not one bit of progress. At all.
3. The Mess of a Quilt. This was my second practice long arm quilt. I didn’t finish quilting it during my long arm block of hours time, so I’ll have to finish it on my home machine. It will look funny, but I’ll get it done. UPDATE: No progress, but now I have a long arm to reload it on and finish.
4. Green and black squares – still needs to be quilted. UPDATE: No progress, but I’ll try and quilt it in Q1’17.
5. My Sugar Block Club BOM. I won’t get this quilt done this quarter as the last block will come out at the beginning of December, but I need to catch up on my blocks. UPDATE: Not finished, but I did finish all of the blocks. Need to work on the layout, get it together and work on the quilting.
6. Bee-utiful Quilt along quilt – I still have 14 blocks left to embroider, so this one is a stretch. UPDATE: I’m not done with all of the blocks, but I have made progress. I’ve made 6 more blocks, so 8 more to go to make 20. Here is my most recent block finish. The flowers were fun!
Only one finish, but it was a big one! I also bought a long arm and spent most of December learning how to use it. I’m hoping it will help me finish a bunch more next year.
We are heading toward New Years’ and it is a good time to look ahead toward 2017. Yvonne at Quilting JetGirl is hosting a linky party that is a great opportunity to make some plans and check out what others in the Quilty World are up to.
So what is on deck for 2017?
I’m trying to pick a word for the year, and the best I can come up with is ‘Settle In’ (which I understand is two words, but you’re going to have to give me a break here!). I had a lot of change in 2016 – leaving my job of 23 years and starting a new one, and in quilty life starting this blog and buying a long arm – so I’m looking to find some balance, make time to sew, and get really comfortable and skilled with the things that I’m doing. With that in mind:
Long Term Goals:
Find a good balance between work and life and make sure I keep making time to sew. Getting bit more physical activity and losing a few pounds wouldn’t be a bad idea either!
Continue to try new things with my quilting. Learn new skills, make things that are outside my norm and my comfort zone.
Short Term Goals:
Long arm, long arm, long arm. I want to get very comfortable and capable with my new big machine! I’m taking an Angela Walters class in March that should help.
Figure out something to do with all of these quilts! I will be making some donations, but I’m also considering opening an Etsy store.
Do less BOMs and quilt alongs this year and do more of my own designing. I joined a monthly design group that should push me to do this.
Keep up with my Bee group. I’m in a group with some great folks from my New Blogger’s group. I’ve never done a Bee, so it should be fun.
Projects on the list:
Sugar Block Club BOM layout and finish
Splendid Sampler layout and finish
Death Star quilt
Blueberry park Drunkard’s Path
Hawaiian batik sampler
My embroidered Bee quilt
Other stash projects – I have a large amount of fun bundles I have purchased that I need to get working on (more Blueberry Park, some Alison Glass, Me+You batiks, some Grunge…)
Long arm practice quilts (rings, funky squares, Circa 1934 Squares, mess-of-a-quilt)
I think that gives me plenty to work on! I’m going to try and get some focus and get some of these projects knocked out.