My international quilting bee group took on a different format this year where we focused more on making blocks for charity quilts. I found the greatest Chicken Quilt Block Tutorial by Sew Inspired online and asked my mates to make them. The block pattern/tutorial was a bit unclear as to which way the big block was oriented – one way made a narrow chicken and the other a wide chicken. As a result, I made and received some of each, so I made two quilts.
This is the wide chicken quilt:
Here’s a close up of the quilting. It is a pantograph called ‘Boing’. Kind of like springs – lots of swirlies.
The narrow chicken quilt:
This pantograph is called Stipple Flowers.
This is the back – I used the same backing for both quilts.
It is the cutest chicken fabric in the world!
These quilts were a ton of fun, and my bee mates did a great job with the blocks. They are fun blocks to make…in fact I might be making more now!
Wide Chicken Final Details:
- Finished 46″x58″
- I’m not actually sure what the batting is. I got a bunch of leftovers from a quilting class I took and decided just to use it. I think it is a poly blend of some kind.
- So Fine#50, color #503 (light grey) on both the top and bobbin
- Pantograph is Boing from Anne Bright Designs
- Around 75,000 total quilting stitches.
Narrow Chicken Final Details:
- Finished 49″x55″
- Same mystery batting as Wide above
- So Fine#50, color #503 (light grey) on both the top and bobbin. The thread color on this one was tough with the black sashing and the white background on the blocks. I started with a darker gray but it was way too dark. The light grey worked out a lot better.
- Pantograph is Stipple Flowers from Anne Bright Designs
- 53,820 total quilting stitches
- This was a finish on my Q3’19 FAL list so I will be posting it on the FAL linky right now because it closes soon!
They are amazing! Thank you for linking to my blog.
Thank you so much, and thanks for stopping by! We all loved making your blocks, and most everyone who sees them asks me where I found the pattern. Thanks for putting your chickens out there for us to make!
These turned out fantastic and so cute! Great color combinations, too! I remember having fun making them. Fantastic finishes!
Thanks! They are cute! They were fun to make. Thanks so much for sending me blocks to include.