I recently posted my Hawaiian Sampler Quilt which was a great finish, but it is not the first Hawaiian quilt I have done. I completed this wall hanging top some time ago – couldn’t tell you when – and pulled it out to quilt after I finished the sampler. I figured I was good and warmed up so I might as well dive in.
I sort of accidentally found the top again, then found a piece of orange hand-dyed fabric that was perfect for the backing, then a remnant of Warm and Natural batting that was the right size, then my crib sized piece of wool batting I bought at the Albuquerque Modern Quilt Guild Destash sale in 2017 for $3 (!!) to use as a first attempt at a double batting. I even found a piece of the original green batik I used for the top that was big enough to use for the binding. I couldn’t believe how it all came together – it seemed it was meant to be finished now!
Here is the finished quilt:
The wool batting in a double batt really made an awesome texture!
Some close ups:
The quilting was a bit tricky because I did continuous echo lines all around the design so I had to roll the quilt back and forth to do the entire circuit. It was time consuming and I got a lot of steps walking back and forth to the frame rollers, but it came out great.
Here is the back:
The texture is so great – it almost looks silky.
My husband helped me with the photos on a football Sunday at home, so we were relaxing. I think the plaid pajama pants really set the quilt off well…:)
I hung it up in my sewing room over my machine and love looking at it:
I’m really happy with how it came out and so glad I finally took the plunge and did the quilting. There is still some wonkiness and my echoing is not perfect, but I think it came out well.
After completing these quilts I took a stroll around the house and was surprised to see how many Hawaiian quilts or blocks or pillows I have completed. I guess in my visits to Hawaii I kept seeing patterns I liked and starting new projects. Here is a tour –
Pillows in the bedroom:
Turtles in the guest room (hand quilted):
A hanging cover for the utility closet (made with hand dyed fabric. This one isn’t quilted):
And a Koa Tree Wall Hanging in the entry way (hand quilted with hand dyed fabric):
- Hand Appliquéd Batiks with a cotton (muslin) hand dyed backing.
- Warm and Natural cotton combined with Hobbs Tuscany Wool batting.
- So Fine #50 blue (436) and orange (533) on the top, Bottom Line #620 in the bobbin.
- 74,020 total quilting stitches
- Finished 42″ square
- This was a finish on my Q1’19 FAL list so I will be posting it on the FAL linky at the end of the quarter.
- Wednesday Wait Loss at Inquiring Quilter
- Let’s Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts