Today I’m happy to share my Blueberry Orange Peel Quilt Finish. I talked about the start of this quilt and the piecing here – I had fun experimenting with my Classic Curves ruler. I designed the quilt with a lot of negative space to enable quilty creativity, then promptly had a mental block on how to deal with all that negative space. I worked through it, and here is the finished result:
I wound up going with a bunch of straight lines in the negative space to offset the curves of the orange peels. I think the texture came out great!
Here are some more photos:
I did a bunch of different patterns in the orange peels – arches, feathers, figure eights, serpentines, wavy lines and ferns. The arches (or rounds) and serpentines came out the best. I did the same motif of echoed lines and pebbles in between all the circles.
For the negative space I did a few ‘ghost’ peels to show the peel falling down to the lone red peel out there. I then drew wavy lines out from the peels to the edges and filled in the spaces with straight lines in various directions.
Here’s a close up of the back:
We took photos on the day after Christmas – it was pretty grey out, but not too cold:
This was a fun experiment and a lot of good quilting practice. I’m really happy with how she came out!