This was another single charm pack that I bought and then had no idea what to do with. I saw all these ‘coin quilts’ online and thought they looked like a good way to show off the charms. I cut the 5″ squares into a few different sizes to make the coin rows, and then bordered the rows with a solid fabric. Originally I used a solid cream fabric, but I really hated how it looked. It was really drab and washed out, so I put the top away and ignored it for awhile.
I recently got it back out and took it over to the quilt shop to see if I could find something to liven it up a bit. I am a green gal, so this Me+You batik really fit the bill. I ripped out the old cream rows and swapped in the green and wow, it really made a huge diffference! I don’t even have a photo of the old cream – it was that bad.
From there I had to figure out how to quilt it. I really wanted to do some flow-type quilting, so I settled on that for the green. The coin rows took a bit more thought, but I found some inspiration on Pinterest. I loaded her up and got going.
It took me a little while to get on a roll with the flow quilting, but eventually I got it looking like I wanted it to look.
I really like the lines, pebbles and switchbacks in the coin rows.
This is the completed quilt:
This is the detail of the back – the back looks really cool.
AND I got to use my new labels for the first time:
I used Isacord #6051 on the top and Bottom Line #614 in the bobbin, both are a light green. It is really hard to see the green thread in the green rows, but overall I think it looks good.
I am really, really happy with how she came out. I think my freehand long arm quilting is coming along!