I pulled out another old quilt top I had laying around for more longarm practice.
I’m realizing that I have a tendency to just want to quilt things with one all over pattern, so I’m trying to break that habit. I bought both of Angela Walters’ Shape by Shape books and used them for inspiration to choose different motifs for each square on the quilt. As an aside, I took the books to my local Kinko’s store and had them spiral bound, which is the best thing ever.
This is the quilt all ironed and ready to load:
Here she is all finished. I used a lightish gray Isacord thread on the top and bottom. There are lots of colors in this quilt, and I think that gray is a good blender across all of them.
Detail of the quilting, front and back:
I also used this opportunity to practice some more machine binding:
It isn’t a very big quilt – about 35″ square – so it finished up pretty quickly. My quilting isn’t perfect by any means, but I tried a lot of new things and am really happy with how it came out. I’ll use most of these motifs in future quilts.
I’m not sure if this quilt is big enough for a Project Linus – if not, my local Bernina store has a donation bin for quilts for animal shelters. I think the pups will enjoy it, and they won’t mind my wobbly stitches.
This quilt was on my Q1’17 FAL list, so I’ll be linking it up when the time comes.