About a year ago the AQS came through Albuquerque and had a big show. It was really cool that they came here, and it was a good exhibition.
At the show I bought a bunch of fabric, and one of the bundles was a group of math/science fat quarters. As an engineer I thought this was really cool stuff. I’d never made a tumbler quilt, and I thought it would be a good pattern to show off large parts of the neat fabric. I pieced it last year, and based it over Christmas, but needed to get on with the quilting!
Here it is all based and ready to go:
I decided to do a line echo quilting pattern, but instead of straight lines I used a wavy line stitch on my Bernina. I thought the wavy lines looked like standing waves, so it seemed it fit with the theme! I also quilted the lines heading in one direction diagonally, and then picked a point about three quarters of the way down to turn 90 degrees.
Quilting in Progress
Adding binding – I did the binding entirely by machine, which is something I’m still mastering
The whole finished quilt
A few close ups
The back – you can see the 90 degree turn and the wavy lines a bit better in this shot
This was one of my Q2’16 FAL goals (link to original Q2 FAL goal list), so I’ll be linking this up with that page. Great to get one done, and to experiment with a new machine quilting pattern.